Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Thoughts On Writer's Block

It sucks big barf buckets (to steal my cousin's wordage)...but more specifically it makes me question my own ability to write. You always hear that quote "Writers write!" Even though I know it to be true, you might have heard it also, but...don't you just want to punch a person in the face when they say that? Really? Writers Write? Well drivers drive, how bout them apples.




If I'm having trouble writing is that supposed to mean I am not a writer? In my mind I can see the characters. I know them, they are real living people, and people I might add that I probably would not want to meet. Most of the characters in my story are odd, obnoxious, aggressive, complex, so why in the hell am I having trouble writing their story?


I'm not really sure of the answer to that question. But here's an excellent quote that describes who a writer really is:
A writer is somebody for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people. ~Thomas Mann, Essays of Three Decades, 1947

1 comment:

  1. Interesting... very, very interesting! NO, it does NOT mean you're not a writer!! Your ideas haven't come together yet; it's normal; VERY FRUSTRATING, but NORMAL. Girl, you KNOW you can write, so stop being so hard on yourself... When you stop stressin about it, it will come... =)

    ReplyDelete